Good Agricultural Practices Program
Everett Family Orchard is proudly certified by CanadaGAP, the national food safety certification program for fresh produce suppliers. As such we must adhere to the guidelines and Good Agricultural Practices for U-Pick Operations. Please read below to ensure everyone has a safe and happy visit to our farm!
CanadaGAP® is a program for farms which helps ensure food safety and Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs). It has been developed by the horticultural industry and reviewed for technical soundness by Canadian government officials. CanadaGAP certification indicates that our farm has procedures in place to minimize the risk of product contamination. The processes are monitored by an independent third party on an ongoing basis. For more information please visit the CanadaGAP webpage.
– Clean hands: Daily cleaned washrooms as well as hand sanitizing stations with instructions are provided. All employees and visitors are required to sanitize their hands prior to entering the u-pick.
– Containers: Apples must be harvested into clean containers. We provide clean new bags for all visitors to the orchard.
– Picking: Visitors are required to remain in the designated harvesting area and to only touch the product they plan to purchase. Apples are to be picked off the tree and not the ground. Please ensure children are supervised at all times.
– Garbage: Please dispose of garbage and apple cores in the provided receptacles. We are a non smoking farm.
– Animals: Unfortunately animals are not permitted in the u-pick in order to comply with CanadaGAP and Food Safety regulations (with the exception of certified service dogs).
– Other things to remember: It can be sunny, windy, wet, cold, or all of the above! Please dress appropriately and remember to bring sun block, appropriate clothing, and drinking water.